Customer Care Specialist
Under the direction of the Customer Care Supervisor, the Customer Care Specialist oversees the application intake process including processing of pre-screening and initial eligibility determination. This position interacts with applicants in person, over the phone and electronically, to gather necessary documentation and assist with application completion while responding to inquiries about Cook Inlet Housing Authority (CIHA) properties.
Major Activities (Typical Duties/Responsibilities)
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Assesses client needs and provides information and/or application for services.
- Provides assistance to applicants with application completion, status updates, and answering of general questions.
- Provides timely response to the Customer Care phone line, electronic inquiries and walk in clients.
- Schedules and manages applicant appointments.
- Completes application intake and prescreening process.
- Verifies soft income calculation and determines appropriate wait list placement.
- Recommends application approval or denial based on CIHA criteria guidelines.
- Notifies applicant of qualification results.
- Assists in the development of necessary verification forms and application materials.
- Utilizes and maintains a network of referral resource(s) for client needs.
- Promotes CIHA housing programs and provides referrals to appropriate services.
- Create and maintain a positive working relationship with Property Teams, Administrative Team, and Marketing Team.
- Represent CIHA at informational booths at various events as required.
- Track and report data to Customer Care Supervisor regarding applicant traffic, customer care calls and other information requested to evaluate applicant demographics and marketing efforts.
- Review weekly marketing posting and wait list communications to accurately match applicants with the right properties.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interact professionally with a culturally and/or economically diverse demographic.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with clients, staff, and others.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret CIHA policies and procedures, related Federal and State regulations, and other compliance related documents if necessary.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations to determine financial eligibility.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suite.
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks concurrently.
- Ability to conduct interviews with applicants and tenants.
- Ability to input client information into housing management software with a high level of detail and accuracy.
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality.
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures with ability to perform basic computer functions.
Education and Experience
- Associates degree in business, property management or other real estate related field. Eligibility processing may be substituted on a year for year basis.
- Preferred; any of the following designations or ability to obtain one within 12 months of hire date: NAHASDA essentials or LIHTC certification training.
- Four years’ experience working in customer service.
- Housing or property management experience preferred.
- Current AK Driver’s license.