Development Finance Officer
Under general direction of the Manager, Development Finance, the Development Finance Officer is responsible and accountable for working on affordable housing developments from vision to realization by focusing on pre-development and planning including land acquisition, due diligence, design review, financing applications and compliance, and affordable rental housing development analysis for project feasibility and sustainable operation.
Major Activities (Typical Duties/Responsibilities)
- Participate in project planning to determine development time frames, project procedures and staffing requirements, and explore funding opportunities.
- Coordinate pre-development activities including acquisition, environmental review, project concept development, cost analysis, and internal market studies.
- Develop, evaluate, and refine comprehensive project pro-formas for various residential developments using a mix of funding sources.
- Assist in securing financing under the following programs, which include, but are not limited to, Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), HOME Investment Partnerships Act (HOME), Federal Home Loan Bank (FHLB), State of Alaska, Municipal, private foundation sources, and project debt.
- Assure maintenance of internal controls and compliance with regulatory and reporting requirements associated with project funding; and provide technical assistance as needed.
- Prepare funding approval requests and regularly monitor project budgets.
- Provide monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting and tracking alongside the company’s project accountant.
- Coordinate with external auditor for project audit needs for timely delivery of various certifications such as Final Cost Certifications, Carryover, 50% Test, Tenant Certifications, and 8609s.
- Coordinate with and provide project updates to other departments as needed, including but not limited to project management, finance, and property management.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with private lending institutions, state and federal housing programs and funding sources.
- Review actual property performance, financial statements, tax returns, and LIHTC cost certifications to inform future development projections.
- Performs other duties as required.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in written form clearly and professionally.
- Ability to understand and produce comprehensive pro-forma schedules for project proposals, including an understanding of financial constraints and gap financing problem solving.
- Knowledge of various affordable housing financing products such as Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), HOME Investment Partnerships Act (HOME), Federal Home Loan Bank (FHLB), State of Alaska, Municipal, private foundation sources, and project debt.
- Experience reading and reviewing real estate documents (leases, operating agreements, title reports, appraisals) and an understanding of the real estate acquisition process.
- Experience in LIHTC equity and debt closing transactions, real estate law and regulations, Municipal Planning and Zoning, neighborhood revitalization concepts, activities and funding mechanisms.
- Demonstration of strong analytical, organization and communication skills.
- Advanced Excel skills and proficiency in other MS Office products.
- Must demonstrate an ability to:
- manage and prioritize multiple projects effectively and meet deadlines;
- anticipate needs and be proactive;
- work independently with minimal supervision;
- work collaboratively with project partners, both internally and externally;
- collect, interpret, and utilize data effectively;
- have a strong attention to detail;
- represent the organization professionally in dress, demeanor, and communication.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance, Affordable Rental Housing Development, or Project Management
- Five years progressive experience in related field
- Three years experience in an affordable housing environment including experience in rental housing development underwriting.