Effective October 2022, salary ranges have been independently reviewed and increased to better reflect the current job market.
Under the direct supervision of the Maintenance Manager, this position supervises, maintains, develops, directs, coordinates, and expedites all building maintenance, and grounds functions including the evaluation and oversight of the make ready process of their assigned portfolio. This position is responsible for cross departmental coordination with Compliance, Accounting, Construction, and other Rental Properties staff to support the budget/fiscal responsibilities of their assigned portfolio.
Major Activities (Typical Duties/Responsibilities)
- Professional supervision, with HR assistance of grounds and maintenance staff including recruitment, training, counseling, communication, and performance appraisal completion.
- Working in conjunction with Compliance, coordinate maintenance and grounds staff for audit preparation, physical inspections, and timely responses to non-compliance issues in their assigned portfolio. Assist Maintenance Manager with the implementation and evaluation of the preventative maintenance program, schedules for non-routine repairs and maintenance for all facilities. Schedule work, inspect and evaluate progress, and complete required reports/documentation.
- Develop and maintain all required building system inspections, including but not limited to, annual boiler inspections, back flow preventer inspections, elevator inspections, and fire system inspections.
- Perform regular inspections of staff work and coach maintenance staff to correct deficiencies and develop skills.
- Implement onboarding and staff training program to include skill development and quality work product.
- Supervise make ready process for all vacated units to include scheduling, spot inspection, coordinate communication with staff, CD’s, and Rental Properties Managers, and ensure compliance with CIHA building standards.
- Establish, maintain, and communicate on-call maintenance schedule. Tracks calls and monitor overtime for trends and proactive repairs.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with Rental Properties staff, Compliance, Housing Services, and other CIHA departments to achieve shared goals for assigned portfolio.
- Monitor maintenance operational and financial reports and evaluate the outcomes against established performance benchmarks, making suggestions and working with Maintenance Manager to implement operational solutions as necessary to ensure portfolio maintenance goals and targets are achieved.
- Provide positive and proactive customer service and communication to all internal and external customers, tenants and vendors.
- Generate purchase requisitions for equipment, materials, and supplies for replenishment and/or acquisition and assist with bid proposals for small projects in accordance with approved purchasing guidelines. Approve requisitions and material purchases in a timely manner to facilitate prompt payments to vendors.
- Assist Rental Properties Managers with the yearly budget preparation process as well as providing input and suggestions for the capital improvement and replacement reserve projects for assigned portfolio.
- Manage maintenance expenses and purchasing at assigned properties within approved budget. Review reports and communicate with other site staff on variances for maintenance expenses.
- Perform regular building inspections to monitor employee and building safety to identify risks, potential hazards, and staff compliance with safety policies. Address deficiencies immediately.
- Oversee and perform accounting and recordkeeping functions including vendor and contractor files, work orders, time sheets and compliance files.
- Provide regular reports to Maintenance Manager on maintenance performance, status reports of make readies and service requests for assigned portfolio
- Perform maintenance tasks when necessary.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable knowledge of the standard practices, processes and materials involved in all areas of the residential maintenance field.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and Local regulations pertaining to building and employee safety.
- Working knowledge of Municipality of Anchorage building, life safety and fire codes and requirements.
- Knowledge of or the ability to learn routine maintenance software such as TenMast.
- Familiarity with personal computers and experience in MS Word, Excel, and Microsoft Outlook.
- Knowledge of lead abatement procedures and certification preferred
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with a wide variety of employees, management, maintenance, and business professionals.
- Ability to plan and determine work priorities, schedule, supervise and direct the work of building maintenance, grounds, and janitorial staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and analyze standard reports for maintenance activity and building performance, recognize trends and make operational adjustments based on data in reports.
- Ability to effectively prioritize, coordinate and implement various job duties with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work cooperatively and respectfully with residential rental populations of all demographics.
Education and Experience
- College graduate with degree in business administration or other area related to building management and maintenance, or experience can be substituted on a year for year basis.
- Four years’ experience as a Journeyman Level Maintenance Mechanic or similar level position
- Current Alaska Driver’s License and clean driving record.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience of maintenance staff on residential multi-family and commercial properties.